Search Our Blog, a great way to find recipes

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Les Enfants de Dieu

Rwanda is working diligently to overcome the effects of the genocide in 1994. Today we visited this remarkable program that helps homeless street boys get their lives back together. The boys are from the ages of 7-18 and were fending for themselves prior to coming to the program. These boys are very smart and streetwise. Most have experienced many traumas living on the streets. The director of the program knows that he has to gain their trust and does so by making the program completely transparent. He has support the boys in developing a government to make decisions about the program including how money that is donated is spent. The boys regain a sense of self and self esteem. It was moving to see the full range of development in the boys from those that were still struggling to interact with others to those that have become outgoing and engaged. One 10 year old boy held my hand the entire time I was there. His name is Eric Hakizimana. I should say he held my hand until I asked him to use my camera to take pictures. He is quite the photographer. I will post some of his excellent shots after I am able to download them when I get home.

He gave me a card as I was leaving that I had to have translated. It says, "Am happy that you came to visit us and the love you show to us in coming here. We are very happy, Thank you. I love you." We was crying when he handed me the card.

This is one of the most impressive programs I have ever encountered. I gave one of my favorite soccer balls to the boys. We had lunch together that was a typical Rwanda meal; plantains, beans, rice, irish potatoes, goat with "goat sauce" and beef with "beef sauce. The food is cooked on a large stove that is heated with wood. The are working to have more self suffient funds so they are raising goats, talapia, rabbits whose droping fall into the fish pond which attracts worms that feed the fish. The grow all of their own vegetables. The boys only eat meat occassionally as it is too expensive. There are 100 boys there. The government would like for the program to take in more boys yet the staff knows the quality of the program will deteriorate if they take in more boys. They are hoping the can grow the program at some point.

3 comments:

Larry Prater said...

OK, maybe you are in Rwanda and not in Ethiopia. Your comments about les enfants de Dieu were very touching. Again, be careful and have fun and get home safely and come and visit. Larry

Ashley said...

I stumbled onto this blog when I was looking for Les Enfants de Dieu website. I volunteered this summer for two months. I love hearing about other people who fell in love with the boys, the staff, the orphanage and the country as a whole. I'm so glad you were able to meet the incredible people at EDD.

Ashley said...

I stumbled onto this blog when I was looking for Les Enfants de Dieu website. I volunteered this summer for two months. I love hearing about other people who fell in love with the boys, the staff, the orphanage and the country as a whole. I'm so glad you were able to meet the incredible people at EDD.